5224GOOD is a learning and giving circle dedicated to educating our members about philanthropy and community needs in Johnson County through social and networking opportunities. The focus for 2020 grants will be Supporting Local Action for a Healthier Environment: Appreciate, Conserve, Restore.
We target our efforts. We choose, by majority vote, a focus area each year from these categories: Arts, Culture, and Humanities; Education; Health and Human Services; Environment and Animals; Public and Societal Benefit.
We are well Informed. Members have four educational opportunities each year to become thoroughly versed in the issues, ideas, and innovations of our chosen focus area.
We are Powerful. Our individual contributions are combined, increasing philanthropic impact of our grant awards.
We Evaluate carefully. We use the Community Foundation of Johnson County’s best practices to ensure that our grantmaking process is efficient, fair and equitable.
We are socially engaged. Through our social and networking opportunities, our members have fun while doing good.
We offer a Tax advantage. To support 5224GOOD’s long-range grantmaking goals, members, can make gifts to the 5224GOOD Endowment fund, which may be eligible for the 25% Endow Iowa Tax Credit.
The 2019 focus area was “Enriching lives through arts and culture…creation, access, appreciation.”
Below is a summary of the grants we awarded this year.
- Combined Efforts Theatre – Dynamic Dance: An Inclusive Performance
- Iowa City Community School District Foundation – Any Given Child
- Jones Academy of Performing Arts – Operations
- Riverside Theatre – Free Shakespeare in the Park
- State University of Iowa Foundation – Publishing Young Writers, Empowering Young Minds
- University of Iowa Stanley Museum of Art – 2019-20 Senior Living Communities Program
5224GOOD membership is open to everyone. Members pay an annual fee of $250, which is pooled with others for the purpose of making grants to support the giving year’s area of focus. Thanks to our partnership with the Community Foundation of Johnson County and event sponsor MidWestOne Bank, our operating costs are extremely low. This allows membership funds to go directly to the important causes we support.
2020 Meeting Dates:
We hope you will join us at an upcoming meeting. Guests are always welcome.
- Thursday, March 12, at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area Park Lodge
- Wednesday, June 3, Due to the current pandemic, this meeting has been cancelled
- Tuesday, September 1, at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area Park Lodge
- Thursday, November 12, at Unitarian Universalist Society, Coralville
5224GOOD is governed by an Executive Council of dedicated community members who are passionate about making Johnson County the very best place to live, give, learn, and play.
Anne Vandenberg, Chair
Thais Winkleblack, Immediate Past Chair
Nancy Collins, Treasurer
Denise Rehmke, Communications Chair
Ann Donahue, Program Co-Chair
Laurie Zaiger, Program Co-Chair
Jean Donham, Grants Co-Chair
Mary Jo Langhorne, Grants Co-Chair
Nina Lohman, Membership Chair
Cathy Pugh, Ex-officio
Kelly Teeselink, Ex-officio
Mary Westbrook, Emeritus