UPDATE JUNE 2020: The 2020 General Grant Cycle is currently on hold as we wrap-up grantmaking through the Emergency Response Fund cycle. Determinations for the 2020 General Grant Cycle, such as eligibility and deadlines, will be announced in early July. We appreciate your patience as we continue to support our community through these uncertain times.
General Grant Program
General Grant Program Eligibility Requirements
Qualified organizations include those recognized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, government entities, or charitable programs. Organizations working in the field(s) of health and human services, education, the arts, the environment, youth services, social services and any other charitable field are eligible to receive grants from our granting programs.
Unless otherwise stated, organizations must be located in or significantly serve residents of Johnson County, Iowa.
Areas Not Funded By Grant Programs
Our application-based granting programs are intended to meet the diverse needs of nonprofits and the people they serve. There are some activities we do not fund with these granting programs, due to our policies and funding priorities. The following areas or program types are not funded by application-based grant programs of the Community Foundation of Johnson County.
- Deficit funding or debt retirement
- Direct financial support to individuals
- Political or lobbying activities
- Projects that are not for a charitable purpose
- Projects or events that have already been completed
- Religious or sectarian activities that attempt to convert a person to a particular faith or perspective, or social service activities that require participation in such
- Organizations or activities which do not comply with our nondiscrimination and diversity policy.
Preparing to submit a Grant Application
All grant applications must be submitted through our online grants portal. If you are using this system for the first time, you will be asked to create a username (your email address), password and an organizational profile. Before you open a new account, we recommend collecting the following information about your organization:
- Organization Name
- Organization Tax ID Number (Employer Identification Number)
- Complete Organization Contact Information
- Complete Organization CEO/Executive Director Contact Information
When preparing to start a new grant application, the following documents may be helpful to collect and have available.
- Organization income statement and balance sheet
- Organization list of Board Members
- Project budget
- Other entities sharing the cost of your particular project
Grant Recipient Requirements
Promotional materials developed related to the grant must include “funding provided by the Community Foundation of Johnson County”.
Community Foundation Board of Directors members may also schedule site visits. Any organization that does not comply with the due diligence process will not be considered for additional grants until compliance is complete.
These guidelines and policies apply only to the unrestricted philanthropic funds of the Community Foundation of Johnson County and not to those funds for which the donor has designated the beneficiary or has restricted the use of a particular fund for a specific charitable purpose. Those designated and restricted funds will be administered separately in relation to their respective donor agreements.